San Diego Saxophone Lessons

San Diego Saxophone Lessons
presented in conjunction with www.sandiegosaxophonelessons.com

Monday, January 28, 2013

Simple but effective: a sax stand

If you are a beginner or intermediate player, get yourself a saxophone stand! It seems obvious, but this will really improve your practice habits.

(c) san diego sax lessons - private music lessons

I leave my horn out all the time when I am at home. All the time. If I’m done practicing, I leave it on the stand. This way I can always pick up my horn and blow (even if I only have 10 minutes) without the hassle of getting it in and out of the case several times per day. When I come home after a gig, sometimes I will even get the sax out and put it on the stand so it’s ready to go.

For many beginners, the task of assembling, disassembling, and cleaning the horn can be an excuse not to practice. Plus, it’s just inconvenient. If you live in a relatively dry climate (southern California), or use climate control in your house, there is no downside to leaving your horn out. Just swab it out when you’re done playing, put the neck back on, and leave it on the stand. Just be sure it’s in a safe corner away from foot traffic, pets, clumsy people, and crazy siblings (I remember my younger brother once decided it would be fun to pour Grape Nuts down the bell of my tenor).

(c) san diego sax lessons

It’s also a big help to break up your practice sessions. You’ll absorb new material better with an hour-long session in the morning and another in the evening instead of an extended two-hour practice session.

Happy practicing!

1 comment:

Ian Tordella said...

Also, my local horn technician Matt Best (of Matt Best Music) reminds you to never ever leave your saxophone on a chair, stool, or table! Horns get sat-on all the time (usually by the owner)...

Post a Comment