San Diego Saxophone Lessons

San Diego Saxophone Lessons
presented in conjunction with www.sandiegosaxophonelessons.com

Saturday, December 6, 2014

J.E.N. is coming to San Diego



The JEN (Jazz Education Network) annual conference will be here in San Diego this year. JEN has basically taken over the role of IAJE (International Association of Jazz Educators) after IAJE went into bankruptcy in 2009.

I have fond memories of attending the IAJE conference back in the 90s with my high school combo.  I sat down to watch a Roy Hargrove concert (sitting about 3 rows back from the front), looked next to me and saw Jamey Aebersold!  This blew my mind as I'd been playing along with all his records at that point.  He then proceeded to slip a microphone out of his bag, winked, and dryly said "no recording".

This year's conference will be held at the Hyatt on January 7th-10th, and features dozens of clinics, workshops, and performances. Some of the featured bands clinicians are the MONK'estra, Ignacio Berroa, Gordon Goodwin's Big Fat Band, Bob Hurst, the Monk Institute Ensemble,  Herbie Hancock, etc.

I'm plugging it here on my blog because this conference is SUPER affordable for students.  The cost is only $75 for a four-day event.  I encourage all my students to check it out.  See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment